Change

Here's Why The Twilight Princess Manga Is The Best Zelda Manga So Far

Discussion in 'Legend of Zelda Discussion' started by YukkiRose, Nov 25, 2016.

1. YukkiRose

YukkiRose King of Hyrule

c012.jpg

I'm convinced that the new installment in the Zelda Manga series, the Twilight Princess story, is actually going to end up as the best Zelda manga ever made by Himekawa. There are only so many chapters released so far, yet some very dedicated fans got together to translate it in English. So I spent about an hour going through what is translated so far, and god damn.

I think there are 14 chapters out so far (?), and the most glaring issues in the past mangas were how horrendous the pacing was. From Four Sword's terribly rushed first chapter to Ocarina of Time cutting out most of the world to fit the story into two volumes, Twilight Princess already establishes a great example on how the pacing should be done in any Zelda manga. I've heard a lot of complaints about Twilight Princess in the way that the tutorial had the KHII syndrome. And many will agree that the tutorial is way too long.

Heres the thing: it was too long in a gameplay standpoint. Players were upset that they had to sit through all of the fishing, herding, and target practice before the plot of the game actually started and the players were finally set free to explore the world. But in the form of a comic, this actually would work a little better and the manga proves it.

Instead of mashing the whole Ordon Village tutorial into one small chapter, this manga takes its time to establish what Ordon Village is, who our protagonist is going to be, and takes the time to explore his relationships with the people around him and delve a little bit into Link's backstory. Which I have to say, it's cliche. But cliche works in Zelda because Zelda is supposed to be cliche. So the manga used about 5 chapters to establish this.
    Moving on to characters, Link isnt as bland as the game made him out to be. Himekawa quickly made him out to be sort of tempermental and hiding regret, while actively lying to people to get what he wants or to conceal who he actually is. To be honest, that part surprised me. I couldnt imagine him as a liar, but in his Twilight Princess incarnation, it fits him so well.
    Midna is actually a bit more violent to Link. Its a bit out of character for her to actively yell at him, scolding him, and threatening him that she would kill anyone in her way. Yeah. I honestly cant tell what it is about her but Himekawa definatley spiced up her temper and intolerance.
    Zelda is Zelda, everyone go home.
    The Ordon Villagers had a little more spotlight to show off who they are, and that makes the world instantly feel more alive.
    Speaking of the world, it is a dark place. I had to refrain from laughing at how.. gory it is. Theres a lot of blood to begin with. We see graphic blood seeping from Ilia's wound when the arrow shot her in the back, we see Fado's head bashed in, we see some other villagers impaled, Link attempting to slice off the big bokiblin's arm but only got to the bone, Link's left arm being sliced right off before the bokoblins drown him and KILL HIM,
    (Dont worry he'll be fine in the next 3 pages)
    Some monkey blood, a Hylian Knight's neck being snapped with blood coming out of the mouth...
    ...You get the idea. If you have a sensitive stomach, this is going to turn you off.
    The art style is actually very appealing. Its nice and full of detail you cant really get from Himekawa's earlier works while holding up the style that was used in the actual game. It's eye candy.

Overall: Not bad.
    Tl;dr, go read it.
    http://m.mangahere.co/roll_manga/zelda_no_densetsu_twilight_princess/c001/

ZeldaFan and Tenshi like this.
  2. Blue_MoonWolf

Blue_MoonWolf Hylian Hero

Midna's expressions are by far the best part of the manga.

Seriously just look at her.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And she can be absolutely ferocious too like

[​IMG]

but also supremely unimpressed with Link

[​IMG]

10/10 would express again