Change

Future of ZC

Discussion in 'ZeldaCraft' started by Mark, Dec 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EmberDarkwood

EmberDarkwood God of Hyrule

Now that it's been enough time where my analysis won't be driven by emotion or bias, let me say a few things.

Firstly, while what you did was questionable I won't argue that it wasn't a valid response to your feelings. Taking away all the admin rights meant that Mergu was pretty much dead in the water and couldn't branch off like he planned to if he really was going to.

However, there are a few things here, and all of them have already been mentioned.

-We've talked about ZC 2.0 in Tenshi's ban appeal. A lot of the mod team also knew about it if we're going off screenshots.

There was no transparency or hidden meanings. It was out there and explained what it would be.

Also, the main issue here is the fact that you demoted him with no warning or words at all. From what I can tell, we can't really excuse that. You had your reasons and none of us are going to discredit them, but things may have been better all around with words.
    It seems like you two are talking it out however. There's absolutely nothing to hide here; we've already said everything about the server planned at the moment. Please understand that we don't want to hurt ZC; we want to help it and make it a place that people always visit like in the days of olde.

nasfi and JCondorDoes like this.
  2. nasfi

nasfi Soufla

Well, no one really said that we are going to take zc's builds and put them on another server and call them "our own". As jc said above, we wanted to make a little server just for ZC's RPG world, because it would need some testing as well, but ZC could not handle it, we asked Mark to change host (we've been for about a year now) but nothing has ever really happened about it, and that's just holding us back from expanding the actual server, and making it more fun and interesting for people to play on it. But I guess, some people think that wanting to improve a server, to be more fun, with less problems, with a bigger community, is bad.

3. Mark

Mark Admin Staff Member

I know I have been slow with a new host, to say at the least. That is changing now with the S1 reset and the push for a new host.

Now it's all well and good that you were attempting a positive change for the server. A new rpg world was an idea I could have got behind and can still get behind. But I can't agree with the way it was being done. Certainly the fact that it was happening was superficially transparent, but I don't think people are being fully honest about the nature of the change. A new map with a $40/mo server and a new hostname separate from our own owned by someone else doesn't really make sense. It is quite a drastic change.

Plus a number of people have written to me expressing serious concern about the way in which all this was being implemented. It is much harder for them to speak out publicly but their concerns are still valid.

I appreciate this is disappointing for some people but I can never please everyone. Ultimately ZC isn't going to disappear and it's problems are now being addressed.

ZeldaFan, nasfi, Konata and 1 other person like this.
  4. PicaroRob

PicaroRob Triforce Sage

You're not pleasing anyone, right now... Now, I really can't stay quiet about this.

Why haven't you directed the concerns we have about Mergu being demoted? It's apparent that he's one of the best things to have happened to this server, as you can see from all our responses. None of this is really about the RPG world, it's because we want Mergu back. And trust me when I say things won't get better until we do have him back.

Have a nice day.

EDIT: I'm not trying to say we will riot, and cause more BS. I'm just saying Mergu has done nothing but good and he would continue to bring such innovation to the server if he were still an admin. This is a huge blow to all of us. It's like a big business (not the server, just generally speaking): we were doing extremely well, thanks to a boost in performance and such. If that's gone, we're screwed/going to lose profit. Mergu is that huge boost in the business. I'm not saying that's all he's good for, because he is also a great guy, but come on: He brought innovation and a lot more fun to the server. You got rid of him, and for that we will fall quite badly.

But it doesn't have to be this way.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
    ZeldaFan and Charles the Uzi like this.
  5. Mergu

Mergu Drowning Staff Member

There are certain individuals who have wanted to see me demoted for quite some time now. Probably because of my disagreements with an old staff member, Dcaff. These players represent a very small minority, and are not involved in 2.0's discord or development (by their own choice).

Thank you everyone for your support.

6. PicaroRob

PicaroRob Triforce Sage

There may have been disagreement. But I'm sure no one wanted you gone. That would just be ridiculous.

7. xX_I_Squid_I_Xx

xX_I_Squid_I_Xx Hylian Hero

I leave my house for one-fucking day.

8. Ichikuro

Ichikuro Bow wow. I am dog.

It's taken me some time to post this. As I can see both sides of the argument.

That being said I'll start with mergu. You're a fair dude. You have literally been the backbone of server development since you became admin. You paved the way for this server to be what it is currently, using denizen. But, I think you can understand why what happened happened. Obviously 2.0 is a really big change. Yes, i was also on the team to help build this new server, but i too was somewhat confused of the true intentions of the server. Between players and staff talking of it, it was quite the mess. Mark didn't see it coming until it was well thought out and well under way. And I get that he is a little perturbed about it. With what perish stated previously about the server being more then rpg, I too thought that it wasn't just a rpg. Players definitely did too. If that was the case it shoudlve been stated long before this week. Or just last week. Officially. That should have been first and foremost instead of letting rumors run rampant. Because half the server is thinking we are jumping ship and the other half are fully aware. Overall, I think it was poor execution.

As for mark. I get he's been gone 4 years realistically. Maybe logged in a small handful of times. And yes. If the rpg server was simply that, then being discussed, things could've been alleviated. But there was clearly almost a week difference between posts in that Skype picture. So may be that's why there was a demotion happening. I'm not picking sides on this. Because of this, our community is in shreds, and people dislike mark even moreso then they did already. I'm here for the server. I'm not here to pick a side. Or kiss ass. Or anything of the sort. If we can get mergu back peacefully, and everything can be situated in a proper order then that'll be great. We just need to all be mature and calm, and see both sides of the situation.

Maybe I'll get backlash for this. May be I won't. Does it matter at this point when everyone is figuratively at each other's throats? If mark let's you back mergu, I hope with our current (and growin) team, we can make this place blossom more then ever before. I have high hopes, since it was you that awoke the beast from its slumber (no offense mark it's a reference lol)

Ichi out.

Also, I know I might have made the same point twice. This situation has me bugged out. Forgive me

Goupil1233, ZeldaFan, Kozuta and 6 others like this.
  9. Mark

Mark Admin Staff Member

So mergu and I have had a discussion and have managed to come to an agreement for Mergu to continue as normal as staff. ZeldaCraft is not going to be branched off, have additional hostnames/machines/etc not owned by me, and so on. I will be overseeing the process that will allow ZC to migrate to a better host and have improve performance. Happy to have this concluded relatively quickly.

ZeldaFan, PicaroRob, Mergu and 4 others like this.
  10. DarkMarshal

DarkMarshal Disneylandlord of your intellectual property

Love you @Mark, do us proud.

ZeldaFan and Konata like this.
  11. Blue_MoonWolf

Blue_MoonWolf Hylian Hero

This Is a wonderful development, and just In time for Christmas. Cheers, to Mark; to Mergu, and to Zeldacraft. Merry Christmas guys.

ZeldaFan and Konata like this.
  12. Ichikuro

Ichikuro Bow wow. I am dog.

I couldn't be any happier about this. To the future!

ZeldaFan and Blue_MoonWolf like this.
  13. PicaroRob

PicaroRob Triforce Sage

Mark, thank you so much for making the right decision. Really, good on you.

nasfi and ZeldaFan like this.
  14. xX_I_Squid_I_Xx

xX_I_Squid_I_Xx Hylian Hero

The most likes I will ever get on a single post.

Other than that, I'm pretty happy things didn't spiral downward in any way, @Mark Can we finally go from a bundle of onion roots, to a potato?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.